Monday, May 10, 2010

The Nic House Project - Episode 2 - The Initial Meeting

The Waiting...

After a mix-up with the location of our meeting, I finally got to talk face-to-face with the contractor that my friend had referred me to. I'm working with a team from Hilo-based company, Dennis Delfin Contracting. They seem like a really good team for such an important life project, and I am glad to have met with them today. Oh, and how very typical "Hilo," Dennis is my dad's classmate. Of course... :)


The Questions and Answers

The draftsman (Clint) went on his merry way asking questions. I don't know if I was very good with the answers. :( Yikes.

Clint: Slab or post & pier?
Nic: Slab cuz it looks nicer. (I refrained from an extended answer including cobwebs and weeds...)

Clint: What kind of roof?
Nic: Regular...? OH! The kind where extending would be easy if I needed to extend later on.

Clint: What kind of ceilings?
Nic: Umm, not open beam but not flat
Clint: Flat ceilings are cheapest
Nic: Okay, flat. Plus, I can reach the light bulbs, right?

Clint: Cesspool or septic?
Nic: *blank stare* Ummm...
Clint: I'll research that.

Clint: What kind of car do you have?
Nic: *Points to the parking lot* That white one. Nissan.
Clint: Okay. Maybe 5 feet plus 3 feet on each side in the garage?
Nic: Sure. Sounds good.

Clint: What kind of counters?
Nic: Silestone? I saw them at Home Depot
Clint: Okay. Granite is better...
Nic: But, more expensive? Okay, granite!

Clint: We'll figure out your allowances for each feature in the home like the counters.
Nic: Oh, I would show you my scary spreadsheet, but... never mind.


Project Location

I made a quick (and motion-sickness-inducing) video on my lunch break to show the team where things would be as far as driveway and house placement. Not sure if it helped, but you can watch my little video if you want. I also gave them some photos just in case the video was just too.. crappy. :)


What's Next?

After the research is done by the draftsman as to where things are under the ground and how the project will pan out as far as expenses and material allowances, the next step would be getting permits acquired, financing secured and have my spreadsheet of expense allocations fine-tuned - I'm talking serial numbers and measurements for televisions, furniture, you name it! :) We'll save that for another episode.

Praying that the project quote comes within my budget...


Thanks, Dennis, Clint & Keola for a good meeting and for making me feel comfortable with such a large (and expensive) project!


No comments:

Post a Comment