Friday, August 30, 2013

‘Iwa Ink Update... and Approval!

So, it's done. It took a little over an hour to complete and I am really happy with the results.

If you've read my prior blog entry regarding this design, it's based on some moments of my life growing up with my grandfather. I hope that those who read that blog entry understood the deep meaning behind this design and the reason for selecting it for (a part of) this tattoo. After having the tattoo done tonight, I can add a little more to this depth to the story...

My grandfather's Hawaiian name is "Kauakanilehua." It is a reference to the Kanilehua rains that fall in Hilo, and translated further, it's technically "the rain that makes noise in the lehua (trees)." For us, it represented that moment when you can hear sound of rain approaching... If you've lived in Hilo long enough, you will understand what I mean. If you've danced hula and performed "Hilo Hanakahi" or any Hilo song mentioning the Kanilehua rain, you'll get it in this format: "make the rain, clap, make the flowers."

After getting inked up tonight, I took my tattoo-session-moral-supporter best friend to dinner for some comfort food - KHOP! Shortly after being seated, we heard rain starting to fall outside and, eventually, a downpour. All I could think of was, "Papa knows that I got the tattoo... and I think (I hope) this means that he approves." Very soon after that, the rain stopped. Like the ‘iwa birds served as a sign to my grandfather, perhaps the rain itself has now become a sign of him.

Thank you to Brady at 202 Tattoo in Hilo for providing his pro inking skills to make my design a reality. I am looking forward to finishing the art for this chest/shoulder piece and coming back to see you.

Thank you Shari for being a part of another adventure in the tattoo world and for keeping me company during the session. You're next (again).

Still smiling through the pain... NAH, no pain!

First glance of the new tattoo!




No comments:

Post a Comment