Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Wishing only wounds the heart...

Wishing?

Wishing and daydreaming about big things for yourself is something most normal humans do. I mean, don't you think things like "Oooh, I really wish I had a JITB Ultimate Cheeseburger right now!" or "Maybe someday I will be able to build my own home!" Well, that's good... shows you are thinking of yourself which is important - not conceited (in controlled doses!).

Action...

The lack of action makes just wishing a potentially damaging thing, as it alone will usually not suffice for Ultimate Cheeseburger production. So you jump in the car, grab some cash at the ATM and head on over to Jack in the Box. Simple enough, but, you still had to actively do it to make your calorie-packed snack (a huge one) a reality. I think this is where a lot of people get stuck or simple just don't get to in their life wishes: action: the lack of it. However, I like to have some guidelines so I don't aimlessly wander around dreamland looking for my goal and being sidetracked by things along the way. "Oh look, there it is, under that rock! Nope, just some bugs... looked like my goal.. guess not."

Goal!

Setting goals and a plan to reach bigger "wishes" is always a good thing. Well, maybe it is for me because I am a very visual person. If I can see a plan and basic path to the end goal, I am more likely to see my way to it. Setting goals is a good way to exercise (and reach) your success in life. Because our brains think in pictures, you really need to visualize your end goal to give your brain a better chance to say, "Hey, I can see it happening!" I am not gonna guarantee you a body like that lil wolf guy from The Twilight Saga: New Moon just by staring at a poster of him, but because your brain sees images, it probably does help!

As you stare at this guy on the wall, you can say "I wanna look like that." You can help things along by first changing your goal to be specific, realistic, timely - and in present tense. For example, you could say "I have a body like Jacob Black at the end of next year." Sounds like you're going backwards into simply-wishing mode, but, remembering your brain's imaged-based goal center, you can write goals in this fashion in order to create a mental photo of yourself looking like a cut-bodied human-form werewolf. The next part is to be diligent about envisioning your goal. Write your goal down daily for 21+ days straight and you just might see yourself doing little things here and there to get going to your new body.

I am sure you can find documented research on this theory I just typed about. I am just remembering something I learned at a seminar a few years back. Don't quote me on any of this... but if you wanna look it up, look for brain stuff online about forming habits and stuff about the amygdala and stuff. Fun!!! And, just so you know, an Ultimate Cheeseburger does not help you reach the goal in the scenario above.

Wishing for something is good, but it alone is like a recipe card sitting on the counter. Setting a goal towards finding a path to that wish is even better - you've read the recipe and have your ingredients! Taking action towards that goal is the frosting on the cake. The rest is up to your character and preserverence to get to that cake baked, frosted and in your stomach. (Okay weird analogy, but, too bad!)

Whatever it is I am wishing, hoping, striving for, I try to learn from the good and bad. I like to see everything I do as a lesson to myself... and possibly others.


live the life you love... love the life you live.


PS: This was a non-wedding/relationship blog! Hahaha!

PS: FYI: The title of this blog is a line from Wicked's "I'm Not That Girl"


No comments:

Post a Comment