Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Marriage: Get Off My Chair!!!

My Comfy Chair

I am nearing my third decade of life and many of my friends are already married or will be getting married soon. I am currently sitting on a chair labeled "Eternal Bachelor by Choice." Maybe it's my self-centered, OCD-like qualities that keep me there, but I intend to stay in this comfy place until someone gives me a reason to budge. Continue reading for more details...

A How-To Guide to Budging Nic Off of His Chair

Well, this guide will be short and has only one major step.

1. BE HONEST.

I hear of so many relationships tarnished by marriage. I hear it can be pretty expensive to get a divorce filed and completed - I say not expensive enough. Hike up the legal fees and whatnot and maybe people will think twice about working things out.

According to Buzzle.com, the top three quoted reasons for divorce are:
  • Lack of commitment to the marriage
  • Lack of communication between spouses
  • Infidelity

So, I've only got one step in my guide (no worries, this one step encompasses around 2,527 subsequent steps! haha!) and it looks like it's the step that people miss most often when "deciding" to get married. The first thing people ask after someone proclaims, "We're getting married next month!" would probably be something like, "Congratulations! How long have you been together?" My opinion on this: anything under 12 months is questionable but okay. Anything under 6 months - you've missed sole Step 1: BE HONEST.

Marriage is Important, Right???

Correct me if I am wrong, but, I thought that marriage is supposed to be one of the most significant life events for people? Why cheat yourself on this one just because you want to get married. Sure, there are life goals, biological clocks and personal deadlines, but something this big - supposedly spending the rest of your life with another person - seems pretty big.

Sure, I've had relationships where I thought to myself, "This is it - The one I'm gonna be with forever!" only to find myself scratching my head months later wondering where things changed. To me, one of the most important parts of marriage is the time you spend together BEFORE you decide to jump into the legal bond. This is why I think that if you skip Step 1: BE HONEST and lie to yourself about your relationship, guess what? I think you're probably gonna suffer through this marriage for a while.

Disclaimer:

All this coming from someone who chooses to be single seems ultra-biased but this is MY blog! If you read this far, thanks!

3 comments:

  1. Friend, I todally agree with you on getting married and hey no worries about being single cuz its the best. Look at my Mom and real dad, they got divorce after almost 19-20 years. I agree that we should all be honest and not rush into marriage, if it was meant to be den it will still be a good idea several months or years down the line. Anyway, just wanted to share my thoughts and yes this is my blogger on goggle for my CON 441 leadership class, check it out!! Luv Lil Mama Tinks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, no bachelor party for you then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can have a bachelor party every night as long as I am single, right? Aha!

    ReplyDelete