Monday, March 22, 2010

Wedding Weekend

WEDDING WEEKEND

Most of this past weekend I spent on the west side of Hawai‘i. I was a "bride's man" in my friends' wedding party (Congrats Les & Jeff!!!). Since last week's blog was about relationships and getting married, I think it's an appropriate time to do a follow-up after attending and being a part of a wedding.

The Location

If you ever have the chance, funds, and time, the Four Seasons Resort Hualalai at Kaupulehu is an incredible luxury resort for a very relaxing weekend. The facilities, staff, wedding planner, food, atmosphere - just about everything - including the bathrooms, were very plush and comfortable. I believe rooms start above $500, so... bring your instant saimin, bread and bologna. :) Along with the incredible grounds, there were quite a few goats, francolin and other wild animals adding to the "Hawaiian shoreline garden" atmosphere.

The Ceremony

Sweet and simple and quick. :) The weather was perfect and everything went smoothly... except that the flower girl didn't really grasp the idea that she really DID need to throw the flowers - not just pretend. (Good job, Marissa!)

The Reception

Prime rib buffet & desserts - top notch. Nummies! I personally like the end piece with the salts and seasonings on it. ONO!


POST-WEDDING FEELINGS

Okay, so this was my first time to bear the honor of being in a wedding party and it was great. Seeing my friends exchange vows to share a lifetime together forever didn't "scare" me as much as I thought. I guess the closest experience to marriage, for me, would be buying a $30,000 truck, a relationship which ended due to financial discomfort (not unlike some human-on-human relationships, maybe? haha!). Okay, maybe the truck purchase isn't the greatest example for synonymy's sake, but, the idea of commitment for a long period of time (a lifetime is what you shoot for at a wedding) frightens me a teeeeeeeny bit. Just a bit.

I think my fears stem from my self-centered tendencies. I am sure you're all thinking, "Noooo, you're sooooo nice and blah blah blah..." If you're not thinking that, stop reading and delete me from your buddy lists IMMEDIATELY. Just kidding! :)

Okay, where was I? Oh. Yes. ME! I feel like I still haven't figured out how to take care of myself altogether, so what would make me think that I could take care of someone else in addition to needy lil me? Plus, I drive myself crazy sometimes... I don't want to have someone else deal with it, too, right? Hahaha!

That's my post-wedding feelings - not too far from my pre-wedding feelings, I guess. Oh pooh!


2 comments:

  1. Interesting Nic, I will be honest and say, marriage is totally not about me, its about her or him,or whoever(whatever?) you marry. If that person doesn't have that same perspective, that's when it gets pretty damn hard. I struggle all the time and I'm 5 days short of my 29th wedding anniversary. My marriage is a threesome, I couldn't do it without that third person there to guide me. Yep, Jesus saves...including marriages. Having said that I also highly recommend falling in love with your other half over and over and over again, no matter what, look for what you fell in love with before and new stuff that happens when you get old. Marriage is not for wimps, takes a lot on all three sides! Yep, you, spouse and God. Aloha my friend and keep on contemplating, but not so much you sell yourself short on what God is giving you. Hmmm didn't mean for this to be that long, guess I'm contemplating cause my anniversary is coming up. :) Deidre

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your response, WS! I am very reliant on God to get me through anything. I just feel that at this time, He's got other things for me to focus on. If the time ever comes where he places an opportunity for a relationship in front of me - I'll take it - with his guidance, of course! Congratulations on 29 years and best wishes for many more. Aloha!

    ReplyDelete